The journal Psychological Reports reported on a test designed to help determine if you’re addicted to your favorite social media site. It uses the ‘six core elements of addiction’ that doctors use to identify alcoholics and drug addicts.
People who are organised, ambitious and extroverted are less likely to be addicts, said psychologist Cecilie Schou Andreassen, who developed the Addiction Scale. But, users who go to bed late and get up late are more likely to be addicted, she said: having a ‘delayed sleep wake rhythm’ makes you more likely to be addicted.
While you shouldn’t take this test for someone else (people should only take it for themselves), I definitely forsee a lot of parents and significant others using this to try to determine if their child or significant other has a serious problem.
How to Test Yourself
Answer the each of the six statements below according to the following scale: 1 = Very rarely; 2 = Rarely; 3 = Sometimes; 4 = Often and 5 = Very often.
- You spend a lot of time thinking about Facebook/Twitter or plan your use of Facebook/Twitter.
- You feel an urge to use Facebook or Twitter more and more.
- You use Facebook or Twitter in order to forget about personal problems.
- You have tried to cut down on the use of Facebook or Twitter without success.
- You become restless or troubled if you are prohibited from using Facebook or Twitter.
- You use Facebook or Twitter so much that it has had a negative impact on your job or studies.
Simply total how many times your answer was either “Often” (4) or “Very Often” (5). If you replied “Often” or “Very Often” a combined total of 4 or more times, then you could be addicted!